Go Back   Northcode Support > Archive > Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2008-03-05, 02:38 PM   #1
kaheidt

multiple spfs?

Hello all. Is there any particular reason that SWF Studio can't have more than one spf file open at one time? It kind of makes it tough to reference other job files as how-tos.
kaheidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 03:18 PM   #2
northcode
Tim

There's not a lot of information in an SPF file other than project settings so being able to open multiple SPF files at once hasn't really been a problem. Most of the important information is in your FLA and AS files.
northcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 04:10 PM   #3
Jhon
non compos mentis

kaheidt, I will have the perfect tool for you.
I am working on a SWF Studio alternative program, which extends SWF Studio main application.
It is nearly done, before reaching a beta stage.

Look out for SPF Studio 2008 thread, in this forum as I will announce it's beta release, and of course main release.
I will release a preview of the application soon, before the beta is out.

We are talking about weeks, before preview stage.
Jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 05:34 PM   #4
kaheidt

Awesome Jhon. I'll keep an eye out.

I know there's not that much information in the spf files for reference. It's just a little easier for me to learn the program if I can have my own spf open so I can modify it while at the same time looking at a bunch of the example spfs. Or if I wanted to look at different version information in the version tabs of several of my programs at the same time. Nothing major, I was just curious as to if there was a reason to limiting the number of application instances.
Old 2008-03-05, 09:20 PM   #5
Jhon
non compos mentis

It usually due that a potential file or task can cause conflicts, or can complicate things. For example you have 3 SWF Studio open, and you register it... now how does the other 2 instance of SWF Studio that you register... I know it can read some sort a file every 200ms or so... but watch your CPU and HDD spike, and your computer slow down. Sure they can use some sort of communication, to intercommunicate but it's complex and not full prove (well I don't know I never got it perfect on all system). So it is better to leave it at 1 instance.

Also, it is for convenience. When you double click on a file, you want it to load... not open another SWF Studio. Personally I HATE SO BADLY when a program act that way.. it is just not the standard way. Heck even Firefox tries to change this behavior with tabs, and you open the task Manager, you see only 1 Firefox. Same for Internet Explorer.

The trick is to use like Flash some sort of tab system... but believe me, I am making it now, and it is NOT EASY. It is one of those things, that looks like a peace of cake, but the second you trow yourself in making it, you end up realizing its WAAAAYYY more complicated then what you thought. Even if my excessive planning, I had to recode my system several time. And hopefully this time is the good one.
Old 2008-03-05, 09:45 PM   #6
northcode
Tim

Different instances of SWF Studio don't communicate with each other whether they are running on the same machine or different machines.

One complication with multiple instances would be the INI file, where we store defaults. Multiple copies of SWF Studio would collide when trying to store data. Everything else is actually pretty minor unless two instances tried to open the same SPF file but exclusive locks could solve that one.

Like I said, we just never found a really good use case for multiple instances. The SPF files are human readable and easy to check for differences and even to edit by hand.
northcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 01:19 AM   #7
kaheidt

Makes sense. Can you guys tell that I'm really wet behind the ears with programming related?
Old 2008-04-04, 11:06 PM   #8
Jhon
non compos mentis

@kaheidt, about my software...
Well... now I feel how it is for Northcode with SWF Studio.
My software is not ready yet, expect it out during summer, sorry for any inconvenience. The big delay is is due to several bug, where 1 of them is a major one, and would require re-thinking all it trough. I am afraid I cannot give more details. However, a preview post of my application is coming soon on this forum. In addition, you can check out my signature for a more of a live update.