Posted by BGoulette in Feedback on Feb 25 2011, 02:50 pm

I'm not sure where to really put this, so here it goes!

I've unchecked "Show tips at startup" numerous times, and still, the tips appear on startup (and the box is magically unchecked!). Any solution?

Also, if I've made changes to the Layout (say, removed a folder or a file), sometimes, I'll get a build fail saying it couldn't find %file% in the layout -- which is right, because I deleted it. The only "solution" I've found for this is to recreate the spf from the ground up. I don't have any example now (because I've saved over them), and it doesn't necessarily happen any time I make a change to the layout, but it's annoying when it does happen.

In other news, I looked at a file a co-worker exe-ified with Zinc and I literally cringed. Literally, as in I really, physically cringed.

Posted by northcode in Feedback on Feb 25 2011, 03:15 pm

If you run into that again, save the SPF and send us a copy. SPF files are just plain text files (modified INI files actually) so there's no magic in there.

My guess for the "show tips" being aggressive is that your studio3.ini (configuration) file is in a location where you don't have full permissions.

We used to put that file in C:\Program Files along with Studio.exe (which was dumb) and when Vista arrived on the scene and tightened up security we made it write the config file to the AppData folder. However, there's a not-so-subtle version check bug in there. We look specifically for Vista when we should look for Vista or newer.

Find your studio3.ini file and change Tips=true to Tips=false, like below and see if thst sticks. If you can't edit the file without an elevation prompt, that's a sign from the bit gods that the file is in the wrong place.

[Startup]
Tips=false
LiveUpdate=false
Splash=false
OpenLastProject=false

QUOTE:
In other news, I looked at a file a co-worker exe-ified with Zinc and I literally cringed. Literally, as in I really, physically cringed.Friends don't let friends use Zinc!

Tell your manager, or whoever is in charge of software purchases that we'll give you guys a nice discount if they want to switch from Zinc to SWF Studio :evilgrin:

Posted by BGoulette in Feedback on Feb 25 2011, 05:09 pm

Thanks, Tim: I'm on Windows 7x64, and when I set things up, I made sure I royally screwed myself by trying to put my data and programs on separate drives from the OS.

Which might explain why when searching for "studio3.ini" I can't find anything. At all.

:confused:

I've poked around in AppData, but I don't see anything that might contain that file. Let's say my folder structure looks like this:

G:\Users\Blake\AppData

And Program Files looks like this:

E:\Program Files (x86)\Northcode\Studio3

Any wild guesses where I might find studio3.ini? Thanks!

And as for the transgressor who uses Zinc...I'll do my best to introduce him to the Light side! ;) (Personally, I love SWF Studio: beats the pants off the ancient horrors of Zinc...)

Posted by AGo in Feedback on Feb 25 2011, 05:36 pm

on my machine (Win7 x64) it's in P:\SWF Studio\3.8.333\
so just in the install dir. However it's not below Program Files so I have full rights on that folder and won't run into Program Files dir restrictions

Posted by northcode in Feedback on Feb 25 2011, 05:39 pm

QUOTE:
Any wild guesses where I might find studio3.ini? Thanks!If you're on Windows 7 then it should be in the folder where you installed SWF Studio (unfortunately). If you can't find studio3.ini anywhere, that might explain why your settings aren't staying set! Do you see the splash screen at startup every time? Does SWF Studio always start in the same place?

I see that you answered the call for beta testers. I should be dropping something on you guys this weekend and hopefully we'll be able to resolve this quickly after that.

Posted by BGoulette in Feedback on Feb 25 2011, 05:43 pm

When I start 3.8.333, it always pops up in the middle of the screen, and it always displays the tips. I don't think it always displays the splash screen.

Any way to recreate the ini file without reinstalling?

Posted by AGo in Feedback on Feb 25 2011, 06:04 pm

sure, just save this in a textfile and name it studio3.ini

[Startup]
Tips=false
LiveUpdate=true
Splash=true
OpenLastProject=false
[Confirm]
PromptProject=true
PromptImport=true
PromptUpgrade=true
PromptDelete=true