Posted by babeler in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 22 2010, 03:53 am

Hello,

I'm new here (just arrived from Zinc :P - though hey, I created my account in 2004 :D ), and first of all, please consider that I'm using SWFStudio 3.8 trial version (lost my credit card :P As soon as I get one back I'm gonna unlock it :) ).

On windows XP (SP3), my app's startup time (tested also with an empty swf) is terribly slow (up to 1 minute and 3 seconds!). This is due to my AntiVirus (Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 - though I gave my app "trusted" status and all permissions), without whom startup time is approx 0.5 seconds. Also, startup time is no quicker if I launch the same app multiple times consecutively. Is there a way to speed it up?
Setting up a "rule" that totally ignores the app obviously works, but I'm concerned about users that might not know/realize how to do it. And, again, this is the only software that gives me such issues.

Also, if the antivirus is on, the app's window is slow to respond. If I click and drag the window's bar, it starts being dragged only after 0.5 seconds (which, again, doesn't happen with antivirus off). This too doesn't happen with any other app on the same computer.

Kind regards & a nice day (& glad to be here :) )

Daniele

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 22 2010, 09:07 am

Back from the dark side you are :yoda:

I know that antivirus software can slow down the startup but I've never heard of it causing the application to respond slowly after it has started. That's just a bit odd.

If you want to send us an email (support@northcode.com) I'd like to get you to try something I've been playing with to make us play better with antivirus software. It's not ready for prime time yet, but your system sounds like a really good test case for us.

Posted by J. Dunlavy in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 23 2010, 03:36 am

QUOTE: from babeler;50884

I'm new here (just arrived from Zinc :P - though hey, I created my account in 2004 :D ), and first of all, please consider that I'm using SWFStudio 3.8 trial version (lost my credit card :P As soon as I get one back I'm gonna unlock it :) ).

Ex-Zincer myself. I kick my own ass everyday for not using Northcode's product first.

Posted by babeler in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 23 2010, 10:28 am

Just sent you a mail, Tim :)

QUOTE: from J. Dunlavy;50901
Ex-Zincer myself. I kick my own ass everyday for not using Northcode's product first.
Hi J, I read lots of your posts in these days :)

Actually, in 2004 Zinc/FlashStudio had definitely more functions, which I needed for the jobs I was doing. Thus I had no other options (uhm... I also bought Glow - spent days building an app with it and finally discovered it didn't work on 50% of the systems I tested it :grumpy:).

Now I'm totally happy to be here. Though, in spite of all the Zinc hate around, I found the people at MDM to be very kind. I know you all agree that Peter is a saint (;)), but Jaspal too was extremely kind (also: I bought FlashStudio Pro, Glow, and Zinc V3, but they gave me Zinc and Zinc V3 CMD Edition for free). Sure, the fact that Zinc is filled with bugs is a striking fact (which led me to be afraid of developing with it :quiet:).

Anyway, people apart, I'm soooo glad to be in here with a working piece of software (and with more nice people, it seems :)). Thus... dark side, I loved you, but it's time to split: I want to enjoy my coding. Hello bright side :D

Posted by AGo in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 23 2010, 03:58 pm

Hey Daniele, welcome aboard.

Don't want to take this thread too far offtopic, but I also read quite a lot at the other vendor`s forum, and altough you are one of the few people that had positive experiences with Gambini et al. I'm glad their sand castle began to crumble, for the sake of all developers relying on 3rd party apps.

Anyway, since you mentioned you used the CMD edition I just wanted to knock you at the SPG files (which basicly makes a CMD edition obsolete) and

while I have the attention of you ex-Zinc guys

what do you think, would it make sense to have a blog post or something about the transition from Zinc to SWF Studio? I only have theoretical knowledge about working with Zinc, but since I see more and more ex-Zinc users during the last couple of weeks, would you guys think a "transition guide" would make sense? Would you be willing to contribute?

Posted by babeler in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 24 2010, 03:05 am

Hey AGo, thanks for the welcome :)

Yup, I know and am already using SPG with FlashDevelop. As of now, SWFStudio looks so more real and usable (not to mention true) than what I was used to before :)

QUOTE: from AGo;50903
what do you think, would it make sense to have a blog post or something about the transition from Zinc to SWF Studio? I only have theoretical knowledge about working with Zinc, but since I see more and more ex-Zinc users during the last couple of weeks, would you guys think a "transition guide" would make sense? Would you be willing to contribute?

Actually, I believe a "transition guide" is maybe unnecessary. Zinc and SWFStudio logics are quite similar, and I found that switching to SWFStudio was extremely easy :)

Posted by J. Dunlavy in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 26 2010, 06:21 am

QUOTE: from AGo;50903
Hey Daniele, welcome aboard.

Don´t want to take this thread too far offtopic, but I also read quite a lot at the other vendor`s forum, and altough you are one of the few people that had positive experiences with Gambini et al. I´m glad their sand castle began to crumble, for the sake of all developers relying on 3rd party apps.

Anyway, since you mentioned you used the CMD edition I just wanted to knock you at the SPG files (which basicly makes a CMD edition obsolete) and

while I have the attention of you ex-Zinc guys

Yes. I'm knee-deep in projects right now, but I've been drafting an in-depth review of Zinc / Northcode. I used to have a website, then took it down, and it'll be going up sometime soon with this material.

If there's someplace else you want me to bitch about Zinc, then sure, point me there.

Babeler has an excellent point, though. It's not like people come over here and lose their bearings. Northcode is pretty easy to use. You just need better marketing, I suppose... something to debunk Zinc's hype train. That's where your real value would be. It takes a while to figure out that Zinc's functionality is rather thin, but by then you've likely bought it.

Northcode's strength isn't in feature bullet points or ease of use. It has those things, but the greatest aspect of SWF Studio is its usefulness and reliability. Zinc is void of these characteristics.

Posted by babeler in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 26 2010, 07:24 am

Amen ;)

Posted by AGo in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 26 2010, 07:39 am

QUOTE: from J. Dunlavy;50919
You just need better marketing, I suppose... something to debunk Zinc's hype train. That's where your real value would be. It takes a while to figure out that Zinc's functionality is rather thin, but by then you've likely bought it.

Thats exactly my point I told the NC guys like 4 years ago and every once in a while ;) (I dont really belong to them)

I just wondered if Zinc users would have any (as in: more then a newbie) trouble getting used to the API and the goodness of async calls and stuff,
but if thats not the case - great :)

Posted by babeler in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 26 2010, 07:47 am

QUOTE: from AGo;50925
I just wondered if Zinc users would have any (as in: more then a newbie) trouble getting used to the API and the goodness of async calls and stuff,
but if thats not the case - great :)

Might be an interesting thread to open for all ex-Zinc users, so everybody could say if there's trouble in the switch.

Personally (I don't want to annoyingly re-state what I alread said, but to simply add some more ;) ) I felt immediately at home coding with SWF Studio: Zinc too can be "theoretically" used both the sync than the async way.

Though, as of now I'm just writing ActionScript with extended SWF Studio commands. Maybe plugin creation/integration is instead very different from Zinc?

Posted by northcode in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 26 2010, 02:00 pm

QUOTE:
Just sent you a mail, TimI just replied :)

Posted by babeler in SWF Studio V3 on Jul 27 2010, 08:45 am

Wow, the development build 404 you sent me totally solved this issue Tim, and this one too: http://www.northcode.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50948&posted=1#post50948 :) :)

For celebrations, check the other linked thread :)

Awesome support :) :)