Go Back   Northcode Support > SWF Studio V2 (Closed)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2001-07-16, 09:31 AM   #1
Vaughn

With the standard flash player, (as a projector) I use loadVariables to load text files from the local drive.

For some reason if I use swf Studio to make the projector some of my loadVariables work and get the text files in an others don't.

-v
Old 2001-07-16, 12:42 PM   #2
northcode
Tim

With SWF Studio you can load text files that are in the same directory as the projector at runtime i.e the application temporary directory in the Windows temporary directory.

Files that you mark as internal can always be loaded with just the file name, without specifying a path to the file. If you want to load variables from other directories you should specify a fully qualified path to the file (drive letter or share name + path + file name).

You can use the ORG command to find out where the projector was launched from in order to construct fully qualified paths to the files you want to load.

Old 2001-07-16, 12:46 PM   #3
Vaughn

so I can't use the standard loadVariables("mytextfile.txt", ...) then?

Why is it so different than the standard Flash player?

Is there some benefit of the org command that I am missing, it seems a lot more complex...

-v
Old 2001-07-16, 12:54 PM   #4
northcode
Tim

You can use loadVariables("mytextfile.txt", ...) if mytextfile.txt is in the same dir as the projector when it runs. If you want to do this, just make the text file internal.

If you have a LOT of text files or they take up a lot of space you'll want to make them external to the EXE (like on a CD). In that case you need to tell Flash where to find the files.

The reason for the change with external files is that the current directory when your projector runs is inside the temp directory not where the EXE file lives.

Old 2001-07-16, 12:57 PM   #5
Vaughn

ok, so what you are saying is that when you run the exe, it copies itself to a temporary file, therefore loosing any path relationship with the original posistion of the exe (ie on a cd or whatever) and that's why you need the org command to find where it's run from?

I looked all this stuff up, but I guess I didn't get that before.

thanks, let me know if I'm still missing something or if I have it.

-v
Old 2001-07-16, 01:07 PM   #6
northcode
Tim

You've got it