Go Back   Northcode Support > Archive > SWF Studio Wish List
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2012-03-29, 11:45 PM   #1
Jhon
non compos mentis

Mouse Side scrolling support (for onMouseWheel)

Hello,

I have noticed that onMouseWheel, doesn't support side scrolling.
I would like to add this support in my software, but onMouseWheel doesn't report if the mouse wheel is tilted left or right, only if it's scrolled up or down.

On this note, I wish that side scrolling is supported by SWF Studio.

Thanks
Jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 03:09 AM   #2
northcode
Tim

We have to add support for the WM_MOUSEHWHEEL message to make that work. It's different from the WM_MOUSEWHEEL message that's used for vertical scrolling now.

FYI: This message will not be supported on all operating systems. It was added in Vista so if you are using XP or 2000 you need IntelliType Pro and/or IntelliPoint installed for WM_MOUSEHWHEEL support.
northcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 06:16 AM   #3
Jhon
non compos mentis

I don't mind the lack of XP and older support. The way I see it, is that places that still run XP, most likely uses those 8$ mouses that came with the system, so they don't have side scrolling in any case. While they are some exception (which they can be instructed to install their mouse drivers, such as IntelliPoint, to maker it work), usually people with side scrolling supported mouses, also have additional buttons on there, so to make those work, or customize them, the mouse drivers needs to be installed in any case, which they already have done.

As a Windows 8 beta user (to test my software, and see the next Windows), I see the importance of side scrolling enabled mouses, as it actually plays an important part of making the navigation on that OS, much better. So I expect that mouses with side scrolling support will appear on more desks, with OEM provided mouses with such abilities. Maybe not at Windows 8 release, but eventually at some point.

Thank you very much!
Jhon is offline   Reply With Quote