Go Back   Northcode Support > Free Tools
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2012-01-05, 05:53 PM   #1
DoeBoye

Proxy, fscommand, pdf not launching

Hello!

I want to start by thanking you for this great little exe. I've used it for a few years now, and it has been extremely useful!

Unfortunately, I have run into a problem quite similar to this fellow (except launching a pdf from the bat file, not an exe):

http://www.northcode.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10398

and none of the suggested fixes have worked .

In a nutshell, I'm using CS5, and I'm launching a pdf using Proxy. On Win XP, it works perfectly, but on some instances of Windows 7, the pdf simply refuses to launch.

I have tried Proxy 3.2 (Found in the previous thread), but that hasn't seemed to fix the issue.

FScommand: fscommand("exec", "launch.exe");

Files in the fscommand folder: launch.exe and launch.bat

Contents of launch.bat: start ..\Launch\"Start Page_.pdf"

(I have tried without the space and underscore, but seems to make no difference. Also, the pdf loads if launch.exe is clicked directly, just not if called from the projector file.

Any ideas?

And again, this only happens on a few installations of Windows 7 (None of which I have direct access to), so it is proving to be extremely difficult to solve!

Thanks again!!

Cheers,

DB.
DoeBoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 12:17 AM   #2
northcode
Tim

Quote:
I want to start by thanking you for this great little exe. I've used it for a few years now, and it has been extremely useful!
Thanks DoeBoye, always nice to hear

Do you know what version of Acrobat Reader is installed on these problem machines? Can you find out? Are they even using the Adobe PDF reader or could it possibly be a different PDF reader (FoxIt, Sumatra, etc.) ?
northcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 12:31 AM   #3
DoeBoye

Hello!

Thanks for the quick response!

They're definitely using Acrobat Reader/Pro (I assume Reader, but there is a chance Pro is installed). Looks like they are also all running 9 (Not sure of the exact dot version, but can find out if it is important).

HTH!

Cheers,

DB
DoeBoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 12:42 AM   #4
northcode
Tim

If you can find out it may help, especially if it's different from what you have.

What I can do from my side is add some instrumentation (debug messages) to proxy.exe for you so we can try and figure out why it's not launching the BAT file or why Acrobat is complaining.

One thing you can try is launching the BAT file directly from your projjector to see if that works, if it does (or doesn't) that may provide additional info, since we'll be able to see the DOS box and any errors that appear.

Hint: Add a "pause" statement to the BAT file after launching the PDF to make it hang around so we can see any errors.
northcode is offline   Reply With Quote